Saturday, October 14, 2006

The Sentinel

I just finished watching The Sentinel. It turned out to be a decent movie but, it could have been much better. Michael Douglas played the main character, Pete Garrison, and did quite well. Kim Basinger made an excellent and believable first lady. Eva Longoria, although excellent eye candy, was just not convincing in her role as Special Agent Jill Marin and seemed totally out of place. Sadly, the president was played by David Rasche who's character in the film was totally non-descript. He was like the one you would see at a party sitting by himself in the corner. You hardly even knew he was there.

There seemed to be an uncomfortable scramble to cram in details in nearly every scene. The whole movie seems very rushed. Yet the audience is given precious little information on the back story leaving you scratching your head for explanations of what might have started the whole plot. We don't even get to learn why the bad guys want to kill the president. We learn almost nothing of the bad guys. In fact character development, all around, was almost non-existent. Isn't this what stories are about?

Don't expect too much and you may enjoy watching this movie.
released 2006

5 comments:

Joker said...

Interesting...

The Gamin said...

Somewhat

Matt said...

I saw this movie on an airplane and without sound. In the middle of it I had to stop and help an elderly Filipino man fill out his customs papers. Despite this, I still found this movie watchable and slightly above mediocre. I credit this to Eva Longaria and her co-star Jack Baur.

The Gamin said...

Ehough I didn't sate it as such, I agree, it was slightly above mediocre and watchable. It simply could have been so much better.

The Gamin said...

WOW - I really have to watxh my typing.

Above 'Ehough' to be read as Although.

Not even close. I need sleep.