Sunday, October 15, 2006

Granular Deer Scents


It's that time of year where hunting, esp. deer hunting, starts to weigh heavily on my mind. During this time, I am usually thinking of and eager to try a new product or technique which may increase my hunting success or enjoyment. I recently heard about, a product called MDR 24/Seven granular scents. While being sceptical, I am somewhat curious about it's claims and think I may give this product a try.

It is claimed that these granules don’t evaporate, sink in or freeze. They are said to be weatherproof. Now, the popular scents that most of us use immediately start to diminish in potency upon application. The scent continues to evaporate throughout the day. It isn't long before the scent is virtually undetectable by even a deer. What good is this? Yet, when applying the scent you leave your own wonderful human smell behind which is said to last for 24 hours.

MDR 24/Seven
is said to last several days and keeps scent in the area around the clock (or 24 seven). The Dominant Buck and Estrus Doe scents come from glands and urine and Early Buck is all gland based, no urine. This product is granular and comes in a shaker bottle.. It also comes Unscented and you can pour your own favorite scent in the shaker to make a longer lasting scent. A 4-oz bottle of unscented product will make 10-ozs of MDR granules.

It seems to me this product might be worthwhile. If it's that long-lasting I won't have to trample my scrap areas to reapply the scent over and over. Has anyone tried this product? I may just test these granuals this year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want true deer hunting success just come and sit on my deck for a couple hours!! I get deer daily and I live in town. A few days ago I had 10 of them bad boys under a big pine tree in my back yard!! They were just eating without a care in the world. I want them thinned out!!

The Gamin said...

Why do you want them thinned out?

Anonymous said...

I want them thinned out because I hate deer. I dont eat deer, I dont hunt deer. All they do is wreck my lawn and shit everywhere. I shoot about 10 to 20 deer a year at work and thats enough for me. Im one of the few men in MN that gets NO joy from hunting. I find sitting out in the cold to nail one of these things that taste like crap is a bore. I also dont find getting its blood and guts all over me fun either. I find a "certain" kind of hunting very fun and challenging, just not deer hunting. Someday I'll send you a pic of these nuisance animals some day.

The Gamin said...

I think I know what kind of 'animal' you mean.