Wednesday, August 16, 2006

My New Lowepro Mini Trekker AW



I just received the Lowepro Mini Trekker AW for my birthday/anniversary. Unlike the photo, my pack is forest green and black. It is lightweight, compact and holds a surprising amount of gear. It includes an integrated quick-release tripod holder, attachment loops for optional accessories, compression straps and lots of pockets (you can never have enough pockets). The ergonomic harness features wide, padded shoulder straps and a sternum strap.

This pack was desperately needed. When I sold my non-digital gear I, also, sold all my camera cases except my Pelican hard case. You don't know how much you need something until it's gone. I will put this new pack to good use.

My wife surprised me here. Not so much that she purchased this for me but, because of her attitude when we were picking it out. It was a complete role-reversal for us. She kept trying to get me to choose a more expensive model. I did not want the other pack. The other case had a pull-out handle and wheels on the bottom, much like some luggage in use today. I had no desire for this 'rolling' feature. This other pack held more gear and her logic, I guess, was quite simple. She is afraid that I will outgrow the Mini Trekker before too long and would then press her for the purchase of a new camera bag. "Better to by the larger one now than to have to purchase a second one later", she stated. I understand her thinking, but very much preferred the Mini Trekker. Like I said, this is a complete role-reversal as I am always trying to entice her into the better (albeit more expensive) items.

I worry, not so much in the outgrowing of my camera pack but, in it's overall usage. You see, I am more likely to desire another bag based on it's usage for a given task. I have had many camera cases over the years and 'usually' purchased another case because it was more functional in some way. Over these years, I have found out that there is no such thing as the perfect camera gear carrying system. If one item excels at something - it's competitor excels in some other area. If anyone finds a perfect system - let me know. In the mean time - I will enjoy my new Mini Trekker.

No comments: