Tuesday, July 25, 2006

find me guilty



I am a huge fan of any book or movie pertaining to Organized Crime, so I had to watch 'find me guilty'. This movie was based on a true story, which is my favorite type of crime movie to watch (or any movie for that matter). It is a very bizarre movie, as true stories can sometimes be, with a somewhat surprising ending. I would not put this on my 'Top Ten List' of mafia movies to see but I am, also, glad that I viewed it. Having watched every Organized Crime film I could get my hands on, not making the 'Top Ten' is not an automatic condemnation. I actually did enjoy this flick.

I must say this is not your typical mafia movie. Far from it. There is an attempted murder in the opening of the movie and a short scene of a beating in a jail cell somewhere towards the end. Other than that, the remainder of the movie virtually takes place in the courtroom. It was said, I believe, that this was the longest running criminal trial in U.S. history! If you are after the typical violent or graphic scenes you won't find them here. There, indeed were some dry spots in the movie but, there is generally enough drama to keep things entertaining.

The whole premise of the movie is about a stand-up guy (played by Vin Diesel) who elects to defend himself in court. Having nothing but a sixth-grade education and no legal knowledge whatsoever he uses humor (by design or not - I do not know) to present his view, sometimes making a mockery of the court. In the opening of the trial he actually states that he is not a gangster but, rather a 'gagster'. He used a very unique defense, I must say, pitching many one-liners and telling a few risque jokes.

I was very, pleasantly surprised by the performance of Vin Diesel, as I have never been a big fan of his past work. I have a newfound respect for his talent, after watching this movie. He played the part excellently and I now concede that he can truly act after all. It was a flawless performance.

I would recommend this movie to those interested in the genre, just keep the afore mentioned disclaimers in mind.
Released 2006

No comments: