Sunday, July 09, 2006

Finally Loaded Firefox

I have been pondering the use of Firefox for a long, long time now. In the end, the fear of universal compatibility always kept me away. I was always afraid some web sites wouldn't view or load properly. After all, isn't 'Microsoft the Generic', one-size-fits-all programming the most compatible solution. All web sites must function with Microsoft's Internet Explorer, right. Right but, so do viruses, pop-ups, pop-unders, and other malicious instruments of destruction and aggravation.

I've had it. After battling for days with some of the above problems, I've decided to slay the giant. At least cut off a leg, anyway. Goodbye IE and hello Foxfire. Hey, I'm looking for security and peace of mind here. My problems of the last few days were only the last of such similar problems encountered several times over the years. This will be just one more step in the evolution of computer security for me. If this program operates according to it's reputation then this will be a wise move. It should, also, help me retain the little bit of hair I have left on my head! Perhaps, others should consider this move as well.


Firefox is far more secure than Internet Explorer:

* It is not integrated with Windows, which helps prevent viruses and hackers from causing damage if they somehow manage to compromise Firefox.
* There is no support for VBScript and ActiveX, two technologies which are the reasons for many IE security holes.
* No spyware/adware software can automatically install in Firefox just by visiting a web site.
* Firefox doesn't use Microsoft's Java VM, which has a history of more flaws than other Java VMs.
* You have complete control over cookies

Upgrade to Firefox 1.5!

As a bonus, Firefox has many features and conveniences that IE does not. One of my favorites is the tab function. With this feature you can open multiple Web pages in a single browser window, and quickly flip back and forth. Very handy.
While these non-security features would have never converted me on their own, they sure are nice to have now that I'm here. If everything goes as anticipated - I'm here to stay.

No comments: