Friday, August 10, 2007

Bicycle Safety and Such

One of my pet peeves is overly cautious, fearful people. Safety is good - to a point. Now, many may say you can never be too safe. I respectfully disagree. I remember when a new safety program was instituted at a place where I used to work. A safety meeting was held each Friday where everyone was required to submit three (3) safety violations or areas that could be improved. In the early stages this worked well and many improvements were made. Before too long, however, most of our bases were covered yet everyone was still mandated to submit three violations. With the lack of obvious things to contribute many employees started making up offenses and doing school-like tattling on one another. The following weeks the revenge factor set in with people retaliating on others with lies of their own. It was a nightmare. This doesn't necessarily prove we safety can be overdone but, it's a negative remembrance that occurred to me, as I started this post.

From A Different World
Bucky Covington


"We were born to mothers who smoked and drank
Our cribs were covered in lead based paint
No child proof lids no seat belts in cars
Rode bikes with no helmets and still here we are, still here we are
We got daddy’s belt when we misbehaved
Had three TV channels you got up to change
No video games and no satellite
All we had were friends and they were outside, playin’ outside . . .

. . . No bottled water, we drank from a garden hose"



What really bothers me the most is when parents become overly cautious with their children. While their intentions are good and even understandable, I think it is often over practiced.


New airbag for bicycles

While it bothers me somewhat to see kids with bicycle helmets, it really irks me when I see adults wearing bicycle helmets. Get a backbone! You guys look stupid. Why not wear full body armor. If you are that scared of life and it's activities stay locked in your home and maybe have your meals delivered. There are times for this type of gear, like maybe a racetrack but not in small town neighborhoods. I used to fly around on a motorcycle sans helmet. So why would one need protective gear for a bike.

I've so much more for this subject but, I have to go. I'm sure I've offended some and that many now consider me wild and irrational but relax and put on a Bucky Covington song. Live a little, because "We turned out alright".

3 comments:

Good Living Homes said...

A bicycle helmet for safety's sake in my neighborhood, while growing up, would have drawn an instant, severe and much deserved beating by the other kids. Seemed kind of pointless to protect the top of your noggin, while the rest of you is being pummeled for being a fag.

Auntie said...

Loved your verbage on this subject. BTW, I had to change my blog address!

The Gamin said...

Changed your blog address?