Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Slik SBH Ball Heads


While searching the internet for a suitable quick release system for my camera supports, I was reminded how happy and impressed I was with my tripod ball head. So, I decided to do a little review of the head to assist those who may be looking for a stout, reliable, easy to use ball head.

I use the Slik SBH Ball Heads and am extremely happy with their build and performance. These heads are part of Slik's professional series. They come in three (3) sizes. The SBH-280, SBH-320, and the SBH-550 the largest of which will carry a load of up to 22 pounds. I currently use the 550 on my main tripod and I have a 320 on order for a window pod I got last Christmas. I can't wait until it gets here. Now if I could only decide on a suitable Quick Release for these amazing heads. If anyone has experience with a reliable quick release system, please, let me know. Whatever the QR system used (if any), I am convinced these heads are the best value for your dollar.

Besides being extremely well built and reliable what I really love is their design. They all operate flawlessly with a SINGLE oversized knob. When the head is released, not only does the ball portion of the head move freely, the main body encasing the head can turn on its base for quick and easy movement as well. This design makes it the most easy to use ball head ever! I highly recomend one of these great heads.

4 comments:

eddyquette said...

My wife uses SLIK ball heads and a light, general-purpose tripod with her SLRs, too, and has found them trouble-free and easy to use. Thanks for the review,

eddyquette

The Gamin said...

Hello,again, eddyquette.

It seems after doing some inventory, my 'general purpose' tripod has seen better days. I may upgrade the tripod soon but, I think my Slik Ball Head will outlast me.

eddyquette said...

I'm trying to talk my wife into getting a heavy-duty Manfrotto tripod at the minute. Then again, I'm constantly trying to talk her into getting all kinds of photo gear (you know, the old male amassing-tons-of-equipment instinct), so we'll see how that goes...

The Gamin said...

I instinctively need a new tripod. Also, I badly need a set of Quick Releases! M..u..s..t.. amass more gear!

Alas, the 320 head I ordered is not in stock (the web site said it was when I ordered). So, I went to a local photo supplier and bought the 280 head this morning. Trying it on my window pod, I discovered this would be a more appropriate size.

Now for my qui.c.k... r.e.l.e.a.s.e....